October has finally arrived and the most exciting part about this month-Halloween- is approaching!
You’re most likely spending these first few days of the month trying to decide on the perfect costume. It can be difficult to decide on a costume that is fun, looks good, and will catch people’s attention. Here are some tips to finding a Halloween costume that is perfect for you!
One of the worst traps to fall into during this time of year is to pick a costume simply because it looks “sexy.” Most of the time these “sexy” costumes come with the least amount of fabric for the most expensive price. Not to mention October is the month that the weather begins to get chilly and freezing your butt off just to look good is not worth it.
I’m definitely not saying that you shouldn’t try to find a costume that makes you look good! There are definitely a lot of flattering costumes out there with a little more material to them. Some nice ones I’ve seen are Roman goddesses and some of the superhero costumes.
Halloween costumes can be extremely costly. It seems kind of unfair that costume stores charge $50 for an outfit that you’re only going to wear once. The best thing to do when you want to save money is to make your own costume!
Some suggestions I can make include:
1. Flapper- If you have a black dress and black heels, all you really need to do is by one of those flapper headbands with the attached feather and maybe a pair of long gloves. You can find these items in a Halloween store for $5-$10 each!
2. Hippie- The boho style is in right now, so most people have a few hippie-like accessories already in their wardrobe. Bootcut jeans or boho loose-fitting pants would be good to wear if you have them. Also wear a headband or ribbon across your forehead. A cropped tank top or a shirt with a peace sign or flower will also pair nicely with sandals.
3. Cowgirl- You can wear a plaid shirt with the ends tied in a knot with cowboy boots. If you have these items, all you need to do is head over to a costume store to buy a cowgirl hat for around $10.
Picking a costume can be challenging when there are so many options out there. You also don’t want to fall into the trap of picking the same costume that everyone else is wearing.
A good place to start to spark some costume ideas is to write down a list of your favorite movies or TV shows. Many will have costume options that you can find at either a costume store or online, or else you can make your own! Some unique entertainment-based costumes I’ve seen are the female version of Edward Scissorhands, minions (from Despicable Me) , and Lucy (from I Love Lucy.)
Group costumes can be a lot of fun to do with a close group of friends! If you and your friends are up for it, I suggest the gang from Scooby Doo, the characters from The Wizard of Oz/Wicked, or The Avengers. This could also make it easier to find friends if you’re separated at at party.
(Photo taken from:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Cmglee?rdfrom=commons:User:Cmglee)
A Little Overdone
The one request I make of you is to not chose a costume that has been worn year after year by everyone.
– Princess costumes are cute, but seen a little too often. To mix it up, maybe try being a Disney villain, such as Ursula or Malificent.
– Almost every female has been a school-girl or nerd at least once in their life. This is hardly even a costume, since many girls just use parts of their actual school uniform for the costume. Let’s leave the plaid skirt for the classroom.
-Ladybugs and bees are also an overdone costume. The appeal in these costumes is a little odd if you think about it, since most people are disgusted by bugs.
-Animals are also very popular, but usually have very little effort put into them. Most animal costumes remind me of the costume party scene from Mean Girls.
(Gif taken from:http://vegetarianbaker.com)
The most important thing to keep in mind when picking a Halloween costume is to be comfortable. You only get to dress up once a year, so have fun with it!